Navbar

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Becoming my Parents, Parent!

Becoming my Parents, Parent!

When I was a kid I would always run to my mom or dad anytime anything was wrong. Especially anytime I was sick. I mean c'mon everyone wants Mommy when they don't feel good. Even when I was in the Navy I wanted her to make me soup. Dad's are there to teach the son all the “tricks of the trade”. Give them the life lesson on girls and that beauty of a 1969 Mustang.

Looking back my childhood was great. No matter how many times I told my parents that they are ruining my life. I don’t think that extra 15 minutes of TV was that crucial. Even if Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor was going to blow something up.( I feel like that should be another post. Shows of the past!)

Now that I am 25 the tables are slowly turning. No, I do not have any kids in my life. I'm starting to have to take care of a parent. I re-read that last sentence a million times before I actually typed it. That’s a scary thought. Without going into detail, its rough! Having to make sure that all the bills are paid, Dr.'s appointments are made and overall life is good. I'm not going to lie, its not rough! IT PLAIN OUT SUCKS! I am beginning my life. You mean to tell me that I have to stop everything that I am doing to take care of someone?

Whoa, did you just feel that? I think Hell just froze over! I can still picture the conversation that I had with my mom when I was younger. I told her that no matter how many children I had they would not stop me from doing what I wanted to do. I got the famous “You just wait!” speech. She could not have been more right. I now think about what I am doing and how it will fit into my parents life. Parent first, me last!

Let me clarify one thing. I am not angry or upset that I am having to do this! I love my parents more then anything. Its just a little bit of a struggle on both ends. What parent wants their kid helping taking care of them? Especially from a while away. No one wants that.

The hardest part for me is to see the health going down hill. They were always putting a band-aid on me and now I am figuratively doing it for them. There are some nights that I am sitting in bed and the tears begin to flow. Where is that magic pill to make everything better? Perfect health, whatever it takes! Then the reality sinks in...there is no such thing. Just smile and keep on moving!

This post has had my mind and emotions going all over the place today but it has reminded me of a important life lesson. Next time that you are around someone important in your life, smile and give them a hug! You never know what is going to happen before you see them next. Tomorrow is not promised!

2 comments:

  1. WOW , been there done that , still doing it ..... this blog in particular brought a tear to my eye ... Your truly a wonderful person/son and i am very proud to know you .
    Much love coming your way "Kory with a K' xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You already know I love this post. Didn't realize I didn't comment. Hugs to you and hears to a new year.

    ReplyDelete